Located between Rotherhithe and Surray Quays, Canada Water Bus Station was designed by Czech architect and designer Eva Jiřičná. Born in 1939, Jiřičná moved to London in 1968, working as an architect for the Greater London Council before forming Jiřičná Kerr Associates (with Kathy Kerr) in 1985. Best known for her innovative use of industrial materials, Jiricna's elegant bus station features a row of 16-metre-long roof spans cantilevered from a row of central columns, which support a 100-metre glass and aluminium canopy.
It was described in The Independent newspaper as ‘two great pterodactyl wings of steel and glass falling from a central spine supported gracefully on five columns … a masterpiece of engineering.’ The design took into consideration nearby residential blocks and the need to shelter waiting passengers from traffic noise, providing acoustic protection to both.
Opened in 1999, to coincide with the Jubilee Line extension to Stratford reaching Canada Water, it forms a hub for bus services in the Rotherhithe and Bermondsey areas, as well as an interchange with the Underground (and now also Overground) trains beneath. The station name refers to a nearby lake, Canada Water, which was formed from the surviving third of Canada Dock and is notable for being the only body of fresh water in London’s Docklands.