While London’s oldest food market has been located around this triangular site since the 13th century at least (some say 1014, some even earlier), the present Borough Market building is a more recent addition to the land beneath the railway arches just west of London Bridge station and adjacent to Southwark Cathedral. It was designed in 1851 by Henry Rose, with further work in the 1860s by Edward Habershon. A major refurbishment of Borough Market’s buildings began in 2001, including the erection of the Grade II-listed South Portico from the Floral Hall, which was previously at Covent Garden, dismantled when the Royal Opera House was reconstructed in the 1990s. Borough Market is today one of the most popular markets in London, a riot of colours, smells and human engagement.
The Market’s stalls, shops and restaurants reflect London’s status as a truly global city, with traditional British produce sitting alongside regional specialities from around the world.